Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Saying Goodbye Part Two


Daughter #2 spent some time out on the grass in the sunshine for the last time with her dear friend. The veterinarian arrived shortly after lunch as promised. Hubby carried Mae out to the backyard - except for what we had to go through, it was a beautiful day. Daughter couldn't stop crying, I hated to see her in so much pain and grief. I wanted to do something to change the situation, to go back in time, something. The necessary shots were administered and we waited but it didn't take long. Our veterinarian is a very compassionate man - he shook Hubby's hand then gave him the man hug, then hugged Daughter and me.
Daughter clung to me, sobbing into my shoulder. I realized just how strong my daughter is when she helped her dad close up the grave and put the shovels away...the scene of the two of them is burned into my memory. Hubby and I went in the house and when I looked out the window Daughter was kneeling beside the grave; I can't help but wonder what she was thinking, what final words she had for her dear friend. The rest of the afternoon was spent looking through old family photos; I didn't realize we had so many pictures of the dogs; I've been asked to scan them. Conversations focused around not only Mae, but around other family members that have passed on. Hubby's dad, other dogs, my mom. Death and grief have dominated our hearts this week.
I don't know how the rest of the week went for Daughter, how she coped...she doesn't say much. She hung Mae's collar chain on the rear view window in her car. I know I have done a lot of crying this week, remembering the day, remembering the pain on my Daughter's tear stained face, remembering what it felt like to lose someone I love; death just seems to hang in the air and I've been unable to shake it.


Looking at these pictures one wonders why she was put down; we have to remind ourselves of the pain she was in, the fact that she fell down the steps on a regular basis and sometimes had to be carried as well as the fact she probably had cancer. 



Saturday I had chili to make for Sunday dinner, stew to make for suppers for this week, the usual cleaning to do and I wound up going to pick blueberries with some women from church. I picked 2 gallons and paid $19.50. Sunday I cleaned and packaged them up for the freezer. We also had our Music Teacher's Association planning meeting. I feel so out of place in that group. 


I've been feeling overwhelmed; trying to get past the grief, trying to keep up with an increasingly busy schedule, worrying about Hubby and what he's going through with the business. It's not good...not at all. Something needs to happen, something needs to change, but I don't know what and I can't help but be fearful. 


This is a very busy week - all my students will be returning and I'm meeting some new ones.



4 comments:

  1. Julie, it is so darn hard when we have to say good-bye to one of our fur-children. Joe & I couldn't even talk about Max for three days when we lost him. Since then, we lost Inky, Amber, and Missy. It never gets easier. Mae looks like such a sweet girl. So hard. Love & hugs for you and D#2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for the situation and just know you did the right thing. We get so close to our pets and when one is gone, it takes forever to get over missing them. Praying that your husband's business gets better....you have a lot on you and will be praying for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to tell you how pretty your new heading and page are...good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know where your daughter gets her strength. It's hard to lose a pet and the memory of them stays with us forever. I love you new pictures in your heading. Very pretty.
    Praying for you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete