Friday, January 01, 2016

Happy New Year!

New Year’s Day seems to be a fitting day to once again make an attempt at reviving my blog.

By this time in my life I’ve seen the start of a good many new years. I’ve never been much for making a big deal of them though. Growing up, my mother and I almost always spent New Year’s Eve together. My brother was put to bed early and she and I would stay up until midnight watching movies and eating popcorn. I remember one year was a bit more exciting than the others. Shortly before midnight we heard sirens and when my mom looked out the window, she saw a man run into our yard and try to hide in a corner of the house in the back yard. Fortunately the police were hot on his trail, found him, handcuffed him, and took him away. It did however give us a scare for a few minutes.

One New Year’s Eve we spent apart. Instead of spending it with my mom I went up into the mountains with my church youth group for an all night sledding party. One of the boys there liked my best friend and tried all night to get her to go down the hill with him but she refused. In a desperate attempt, he tried making her jealous by asking me to go down with him and I consented. There was something about him I liked but I hadn’t put my finger on it just yet. Going down the hill with him was loads of fun and he was kind - making sure I was safe and not frightened. It was a fairly steep hill and quite fast plus it was dark - the snow on the hill lit only by the moon.

A couple of years after that, my then boyfriend broke up with me on New Year’s Eve...not the boy from the previous paragraph. My best friend and I planned a game night after our church's candlelight service. We bought snacks and put up decorations and he made everyone miserable until he insisted on driving me home early at which point he broke up with me.

From then on it’s been back to all night movie celebrations. New Year’s Day is usually spent putting away Christmas decorations and cleaning house. Today was no exception except add take care of sick hubby to that.

And so another New Year’s celebration is over and another year has begun. Wishing all my friends a happy new year, one filled with health, contentment and God’s blessings.


1 comment:

  1. Julie!! I've missed you here and am so happy to catch up with you again! Sorry to hear your hubby is sick. Joe and I are finally on the mend after to miserable colds a month apart. I enjoyed your new year's eve memories. Growing up, my aunt and uncle and cousin always came to our house. We played Monopoly until they new year was welcomed in. Good fun. Happy new year to you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete