Monday, March 25, 2013

Artist Trading Cards

A friend here has asked me to explain artist trading cards, so this is my attempt at doing just that. 

If you Google "artist trading cards", you'll see all kinds of them. Each month a theme is given that must be followed, but other than that, the artist is free to create what they want on a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch card, using whatever combination of art mediums they wish. On the back of each card the theme is recorded, a title that the artist assigns, the date and the artists mailing information. Each artist makes enough cards to trade with all the others that are trading, so if there are 12 traders, you need to try and create 12 different cards. I understand this to be kind of a big deal. You have to agree never to sell your cards - only trade. There are even groups that trade with other groups all over the world. Our local group trades with a group from downstate. 

The purpose of the cards is to foster creativity...it's not easy coming up with ideas to fit the themes and small enough to fit on a 2 1/2 x 3 1/2 inch card. I'm finding myself thinking outside the box a bit more, coming up with ideas that I hadn't even thought of before and it's sparking all kinds of ideas that I will eventually use in my scrapbooks. 

It's also a social event of sorts. At the trade each month each artist lays out the cards they created and a lot is drawn to determine the order in which each of us gets to choose. We then walk around the table in order and choose the cards we like best from the other artists contributions. The last ones to choose must choose from what is left behind. It's fun to see the creativity the others have! We enjoy each others company for a while, talking mostly about the cards, the theme and what is upcoming for the next month. Last month I couldn't attend the trade as it was the same day as the Music Teacher's Testing, so I took my cards in to the store before hand and someone then chose cards for me and I went back to the store to pick them up. The problem with that is I missed seeing everyone's cards and I didn't get to find out what anyone thought of what I made. 
For the month of February, the theme was "felt" which meant there must be felt on the card in some way. In looking for inspiration, my mind took the word "felt" and started thinking of feelings that are felt like love, sorrow, joy, kindness, which eventually was replaced with the Fruits of The Spirit and since it was February, and also because coincidentally, our pastor spoke that week on the Fruits of The Spirit and how they must come from the heart, I started each creation with hearts cut from felt. If you'd like to see my creations for that month, check them out here. Also, if you'd like to see what the other artists created, you can see those here.


Our theme for March was "nightmares". I did participate, but didn't take photos of them as I wasn't happy with my creations. Now that I look back I should have taken a photo of one...it was called "Monsters" and I created a bed out of paper, glued on a paper bedspread and used a piece of crochet lace for a "throw blanket", I also added a satin pillow, then two google eyes peering out beneath the throw. 

April's theme is "Favorite Colors". I recently finished those and you can view them here.

The remaining themes are:
May - stamps
June - punch art
July - bling
August - foam
and it's not official yet, but they are considering "quotes" for September. 

I have all of April's and May's completed with a good start on June's and July's. August has me completely stumped. 

I hope that answers any questions you've had about my artist trading card postings. I'll be posting pictures of each of my creations just prior to each trade. Stay tuned! 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the explanation of the cards. I do understand now, and know you enjoy the creativity part. I enjoy looking at yours each time you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for explaining it again, Julie. I enjoyed this, and did look it up on Google last time you talked about it. I even asked our Education Department, at work, if they were aware of this, because it is a great idea and way to express creativity! They do know about it. I am enjoying yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the explanation. That does answer a few questions I had about how it was done. I enjoy seeing the pictures of your cards. I can see how it would make you think outside the box. It would be hard to come up new ideas each time.

    ReplyDelete