Our dinner meeting with the associate pastor and his wife did not go well. He has a definite agenda to gradually lessen the amount of traditional hymns we sing (we don't sing many now...mainly old gospel songs) and replace them with contemporary music. I tried hard to convince him that quality music and quality teaching/preaching go hand in hand, that hymns are sacred music, set apart for use in the church and have no reason to sound like what pours into the kids I- pods every day, that Scripture, as old as it is, is fresh and new and still valuable for us today and so are our hymns.
He wanted to be assured that should the music go contemporary and the church chooses not to get an organ, that we would not leave the church. I broke down in tears (I hate it when I do that), but stated that I have prepared myself for that possibility. Then we were told that visitors have been getting up and leaving the service because of the music.
His wife wanted to know how long I was going to be able to continue as organist. What kind of a question is that?? My answer...I could go for another 20-30 years or I might be washed up tomorrow depending on my health, mental state, and any tragedy that may befall me. In other words, I felt like she was suggesting I was old and already had one foot in the grave! Apparently I am old, out of touch and no longer of value to the music ministry.
Pastor finally said, if the deacons/church decide to go forward with the search for a "new" organ that is fine with him, but we weren't going to spend very much money and as soon as I was no longer "able" to play, they will not replace it. I got the feeling they were just putting up with me because they didn't want to make it look like they were kicking me out of my post.
I came home Thursday night and could not sleep. I went from crying to praying and back to crying again as I tossed and turned all night. Friday the grief hit; grief as though I had just lost a family member. Our music does need an overhaul - even I knew that, but now it seems we are just replacing the crappy stuff we currently use (and toss in a true hymn once in a while) with new crappy stuff. I had so hoped that the new pastor's vision would at least be close to what I had envisioned. All the hopes and dreams I had for the music ministry in our church dashed in one fell swoop! Dead.
Today I have come to acceptance and peace. It's ok...the Lord knows my heart and He knows what the church must go through in it's search for honesty and truth. Perhaps, for whatever reason, we must go through this "valley".
We will have a meeting of the organist committee soon, but quite honestly, I am ready to throw in the towel and let them have it. I'm weary of the battle and I can't go on fighting any more. I refuse to let them use the organ/me as a scapegoat for the reasons people are walking out!! If they think it's more important to keep people's butts in the pew than give the truth of God's Word in musical form to those who will stay irregardless, then so be it. We can't afford a quality instrument anyway, so why spend the money that they don't want to spend in the first place to get a sub-standard organ that people are going to continue to complain about?
Hubby has been my rock through this whole ordeal. He is the one doing all the searching and emailing to try to find us a new organ. He has put in HOURS of time and is now starting to feel the fatigue and discouragement same as me. If we do move forward it's going to mean more money out of pocket and time from us to travel and look at these instruments. It isn't fair to him but he loves me so much he won't quit until he knows there is no more hope. I am so much at peace about being done that I almost hope they choose to not go forward. I will focus my energy somewhere else. Whatever happens I just pray it's God's will and not ours. This is a copy of what Hubby has emailed to the organ committee for discussion:
Organ Committee
Does First Baptist Church want an organ as part of its music ministry?
• We have had an organ fund for a number of years
• It seems there are very few members who have been contributing to it
• Is organ music detrimental to our outreach? (visitors leaving)
• Should we make this type of investment if its use might become limited? (i.e. Sunday evening,
special events.)
• Should we place a survey in the bulletin? (i.e. Should we replace the organ? Yes, No, Don’t care; to
get a pulse on the feelings of the congregation)
Problems with current instrument
• Static and other electronic noise
• Some stops are inconsistent in their function (work for a while then cease to function)
• Stops out of balance (causes diffictulty in registering the instrument for a particular piece of music.)
• More of an “electronic” sound that can be less tolerant to the hearer
• Not AGO standard
Budget
• Our current fund assets are inadequate to procure a “digital” instrument (more “pipe” sounding)
$10 - $18K is required for Hauptwerk conversion or 1990s vintage digital instrument (low end
estimates)
• Older AGO analogs are available in th $5 - $8K range (again, low end estimates)
We would need to add another $2-$3K for shipping and voicing for any instrument.
•Although smaller pipe organs are available in the $5 - $20K, installation costs and yearly tuning and
maintenance probably would not appeal to the congregation.Although most maintenance issues
can be handled by someone who is mechanically inclined.
The weather has been awful...freezing rain on top of new snow... which has only fueled my discouragement, but the sun is out this afternoon and perhaps that is another good sign of "sunshine" coming to my heart as well.
So we shall know in time what it will come...this...
2 Timothy 4:3
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires,
or this...2 Chronicles 5:13-14
New International Version (NIV)
13 The trumpeters and musicians joined in unison to give praise and thanks to the Lord. Accompanied by trumpets, cymbals and other instruments, the singers raised their voices in praise to the Lord and sang:
“He is good;
his love endures forever.”
his love endures forever.”
Then the temple of the Lord was filled with the cloud, 14 and the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the Lord filled the temple of God.
God be with us.


My Pastor has said repeatedly, we are NOT going to have the drums and rap music in our church. We are not going to have today's music. We are going to have hymns, old hymns that glorify God, and not the songs where we dont even know the words or can hear them. Contemporary is not happening here. I love him and his stand, and I pray your church can go back to that style also. If not, and you dont agree, maybe there is another church that does and will. We dont have to have 'jugglers for Jesus" just to get the young people in the doors. It is up to parents to make sure the children worship God and certainly not to the beat of drums or tamborenes. That is my opinion and thoughts. I am going to pray for you and the entire situation. P. S. I attend a Baptist church also.
ReplyDeleteI pray God blesses your pastor and his ministry abundantly for his stand! Thank you for your prayers.
DeleteOh Julie, I wish I could give you a hug. Joe and I hate the crazy music, drums, guitars, etc., that are showing up in church these days. We quite going to one Mass because of the music and went to one with NO music for a long time. I grew up with the Methodist hymnal and sure do miss the old standards that have so much meaning. I will add my prayers to Linda's. I urge you to not take this personally. God does know your heart. Love & hugs.
ReplyDeleteThank you Terri,
DeleteI appreciate the prayers more than you know. Unfortunately, it is hard not to take it personally as this has been a major part of my life for over 20 years...I am trying though.
God's banner over you is His love and you are His precious child. I know it's hard if it comes to leaving. We just left a church we attended for 24 years maybe for different reasons but that emotional attachment and love for the church body is there. We have peace where God has us right now
DeleteHi Julie... I'm so sorry for you. It seems more and more churches are headed down this same road only to find out it was so wrong. Oh, they may get a younger congregation but what about the older folks who strongly believe the old hymns are more of a praise to the Lord than this crappy stuff today. My daughter and her family go to a church that has the drums, guitars, etc. Their sound system has only one volume setting and that's TOO LOUD. We don't like it one bit.
ReplyDeleteThat verse from 2 Timothy came to mind as I was reading this. It's so sad. I wonder how many in the congregation is going to go along with the new pastor's ideas. It sound like he wants to change things and this is only the beginning. I've been through that.
I got your emails. We can set up something later when you feel more like doing it. Please keep me posted. My prayers are with you. ♥
Thank you so much, Carol.
Delete'm so sorry for the things you are going through. My heart does go out to you. I agree that in hymns there is a rich heritage of songs which have a depth to the message. I'm not saying I don't approve of some of the new music . Many of the lyrics are repeated over and over and songs sung many times as well which don't often have a lot of a message to them. There is a term called the emerging church and sadly I have seen and felt some of the effects in today's society.
ReplyDeleteHere is a little of what I read when I was seeking to learn of the emerging or seeker sensitive churches
ReplyDelete"The Emerging Church is a movement that claims to be Christian. The term 'Emerging Church' is used to describe a broad, controversial movement that seeks to use culturally sensitive approaches to reach the postmodern, un-churched population with the Christian message. Some Emerging Churches might use props such as candles, statues, and incense along with poems, open mics, and videos, etc. EC services are sometimes extremely informal, while others are more formal.
Emerging Churches seek to reach the lost by focusing on relationships and developing a "story," a "journey of life" that is expressed through the "narrative" of learning. These words and others are often used by emerging teachers in describing their religious experience. Other terms sometimes used are "reimagine," "tribe," "story of Jesus," "deconstruction," etc. There is sometimes an ambiguous, feelings-oriented desire to experience God and also share in the lives of people as they seek to find God in their way. Some Emerging Churches are inclusivistic (those outside of Christianity will be saved), while others are not. Some Emerging Churches are environmentally focused, while others concentrate on local issues. Some downplay doctrine, reinterpret creeds, and de-emphasize tradition, while others hold to them. Obviously, it is difficult to define precisely what is emerging and what is not.
Seeker-sensitive churches are similar to Emerging Churches except that Emerging Churches are sometimes lax doctrinally, where seeker-sensitive churches, which sometimes are lax in presenting the gospel, hold nonetheless to orthodox theology. Seeker-sensitive churches try to meet people's needs through programs, where Emerging Churches do this by investing time in people's lives. Seeker churches tend to focus on people in their thirties and up where Emerging Churches tend to reach people in their teens to thirties. But, some areas of the Emerging Church are so similar to seeker-sensitive churches that it is hard to tell the difference. So how do you distinguish between the two? Generally, a church is emerging if it seeks to reach those lost in the post-modern culture, rejects doctrinal absolutes, and, of course, proclaims itself to be emerging.
Emerging Church Characteristics
Following are some of the common traits I have discovered by reading through Emerging Church material. But please understand that not all Emerging Churches adhere to all the points listed.
An awareness of and attempt to reach those in the changing postmodern culture.
An attempt to use technology, i.e., video, slide shows, internet.
A broader approach to worship using candles, icons, images, sounds, smells, etc.
An inclusive approach to various, sometimes contradictory belief systems.1
An emphasis on experience and feelings over absolutes.
Concentration on relationship-building over proclamation of the gospel.
Shunning stale traditionalism in worship, church seating, music, etc.
A de-emphasis on absolutes and doctrinal creeds
A re-evaluation of the place of the Christian church in society.
A re-examination of the Bible and its teachings.
A re-evaluation of traditionally-held doctrines.
A re-evaluation of the place of Christianity in the world." by Matt Slick
I would be shocked if we went as far as the "emerging church", but I don't think it's too much of a stretch to see our direction go to the "seeker friendly" style. I will probably address some of this in my next entry. Thanks, Cheryl.
DeleteI was thinking about coming back and deleting this last thing..probably shouldn't posted all that it's your blog and I apologize. It's just that some of what I've seen happening in this time of history is sad and I found it of interest. You really just needed encouragement
DeleteThat's alright, Cheryl. It's important and should be discussed. Maybe by us talking though some of this we'll find some answers.
DeleteMy husband and I have just recently started attending a different church . We didn't have problems with the church we had attended for so long yet I didn't realize until we moved on to someplace else we felt the Lord was leading how much I have missed the traditional hymns that we are again singing at church. I find myself singing them at home and they are so beautiful and rich , filled with great messages.
ReplyDeleteI'll be praying for you and your husband God will not let you down as you earnestly seek His will and direction
Thank you Cheryl. Prayers are very much appreciated.
DeleteI know how much playing means to you and it was wrong for them to imply at all that you or the organ are the reason people get up and leave. I'm here if you need to talk.
ReplyDeleteThank you April.
DeleteI'm sorry, Julie. I am a bit confused but probably because I don't know the whole story. Maybe they aren't pushing you out but rather that they were wanting to add some contemporary songs for a broader audience. The church doesn't have to lower standards to broaden it's reach. Music in church has always kept up with each generation. We don't sing any of the songs the early church sang.
ReplyDeleteLet me just give you my experience. I'm Pentecostal and our music is loud and lively. We have a 75 year old pastor who realizes and understands that we have a vibrant, young, growing church. And he absolutely loves the worship portion of our services. My pastor uses young people in the music ministry. All our praise team is less than 35. We have two kinds of electric drums, recently a set of bongos and conga drums, an organ, one a baby grand piano and one an electronic that was given to the church. We have bass guitar, a guitar sometimes, and on occasion, someone brings in a horn. The organist is in her 70s and is awesome. She can play anything you put out there on the piano or organ.
Our music is more modern with the old songs thrown in at random. It is a variety for designed for everyone. I love most of it because it isn't about who is singing or playing or what song they are singing. We don't have books and I don't care because if they sing old stuff, I know it by heart. If it is new, they have it on an overhead for everyone to see. I'm there to worship regardless of what they sing. We also have a deaf ministry and it is joyous to see deaf people enjoying things they'd never hear any other way. We have people who say they come for the worship services.
My 6 year old granddaughter knows every song played on the local contemporary station. That is not usually my favorite and I particularly hate radio, but I have no greater joy than that my children love God and sing to Him in whatever style they choose. And if you knew the kind of things she is seeing in her mother's home, you'd know why I am overjoyed that she sings the song contemporary Christian music. It means she's getting something good to balance all the bad "out there".
The goal of the church should always be souls who have not heard the Good News of Jesus Christ. Whatever vehicle is required to bring souls into the Kingdom, short of carnal means, should be used because this is a war for souls. Satan did not create music nor the instruments. He corrupted it. Any music that glorifies God, much as I may not like it, is not evil. We can't expect everyone to agree with our preferences. I love old gospel songs but hardly anyone sings them anymore. I play them at home and sing them in the shower or over my dishes.
I think you're hurting because you feel left out some way. I thought they sounded as if they wanted you to add some new songs for others to enjoy.
Maybe this is God opening a new door for you and a new direction. Don't see this as a rejection, but try and anticipate that God has something new in store for you. And don't see other's choice of music as a bad thing. Remember that your grandparents frowned on a lot of the songs that were being added to the song books when you were a teenager. The only real songs of Zion are those in Psalms... who sings those anymore? I actually know about a dozen of those! But there are very few who do. That's ok. I still sing them.
I'm sorry. I hope I don't offend you. I can tell this situation has hurt you and I hope that God will give you peace as He takes you to a new level in your walk with him. I believe there is still much you can contribute for God. I pray that God will heal the hurt and the sense of loss you feel. I think it is perfectly normal to feel that. I remember when I stopped getting asked to sing specials in church. It was very hurtful. I stopped allowing the enemy to hold it over my head and allow God to find other outlets for me. LOL, I blog like crazy now.