Sunday, June 09, 2013

Blessed Sunday!

What a lovely day we're having. Service this morning was so uplifting. The music was great - I treasure the worship times where the music fits so well with the sermon and is truly uplifting. Pastor Tony's message was on the first chapter of Galatians how we cannot live up to the law on our own - how works alone will not get us to Heaven - only by the grace of Jesus and His work on the cross. He used an illustration of water and gasoline to illustrate false teaching. He put some water in a glass and called it the gospel...he drank some, it was good. The room smelled of gasoline when we entered and he had some in a container near the pulpit so he poured some gasoline in another glass and called it the poison of false teaching that works alone will get us to Heaven. He then mixed the two liquids together because often we are led to believe that the gospel of Jesus and good works is what is needed, but that too is poison...he drank some, swished it around in his mouth, then spit it back in the glass. Good works are the fruit of our belief in and obedience to Jesus and anything else is poison to the gospel. Then after we were all grossed out he pulled out a container of Arizona Tea and told us it wasn't gasoline after all!! But he wanted us to remember that any time we hear false teaching it is poison. 

Daughter brought a guest to church today and I thought they were joining us for lunch so I rushed to the store after church and rushed home to prepare hamburgers, potato salad and fruit salad. While the burgers were cooking she sends me a text that they are going to a local restaurant with church people and did we want to come. Hubby and I didn't join them, he has quite a bit of work to get started on and the burgers were already on the stove. I was a bit disappointed that we didn't get to spend time with her today. Oh well, it's been a nice afternoon anyway. 


I'm so enjoying the weather...sun, a breeze and possible rain this evening. I hope to get the rest of my yard decorations out tomorrow. I couldn't resist snapping some pictures of the apple blossoms we saw on the dog walk this afternoon. I'm not sure what the white ones are...some kind of cherry tree maybe? 


I have some cards to get out today - an old friend of mine will be having a birthday soon and her father in law just passed away, so two cards will be going out to her and I have a student with an upcoming birthday and another friend that I have to check up on since I haven't heard from her in ages and she isn't online. 


Hubby was a busy boy yesterday, he did trail work in the morning, planted our garden after lunch, then mowed the grass on four properties in our neighborhood. I do believe he over did things a bit. 


Back to church this evening and then a light snack probably for supper. 

I do hope everyone is having a beautiful Lord's day.

Psalm 118:24
This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it. 



3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you had a good day, and I enjoyed your Pastor's example, and it is so true. Thanks for sharing. Sorry about lunch, but maybe next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting sermon that was! I would have gasped when he drank the "gasoline" too! A great way to illustrate an important message. So glad you have had a good day, and the photos of the flowering trees are lovely! Too bad your daughter didn't come by for lunch, but I'm sure the leftovers were good for your lite dinner. Wishing you a good week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you had a nice Sunday. The illustration your pastor used had to leave a lasting memory. That 'shock factor' has a way of keeping the mental picture with us.
    The pictures of the blooming trees are so pretty. Your hubby was a busy beaver Sat. Hope he's not paying for it now. That was a lot of work to squeeze into one day.
    Wishing you a good Monday. I'll "see" you tomorrow. I'm having some problems. I'm going to work on it today. ♥

    ReplyDelete