Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Walking in an Unfamiliar Dark Room

 
I continue to preach - rather unsuccessfully - the need for students to slow their music down, especially in the early stages of learning a new piece.

Today I related it to trying to walk around in a dark and unfamiliar room. If we are concerned about injuring ourselves, we don't walk into a dark room the same way we would in a room filled with light. We slow down, open our eyes wider and feel our way, being careful not to stub our toes.

We must treat unfamiliar music like a dark room. We must slow down, open our eyes - looking carefully for signs along the way, feeling our way from one note to the next, one phrase to the next. If we are making many mistakes and re-striking keys, we are going too fast for our skill at that time. By slowing down and learning everything slowly and correctly, we actually speed up the learning process and our retention. Speed comes only when we know our way around.

Until we finally learn to slow down and feel our way, our music will remain unfamiliar and dark. 

6 comments:

  1. Julie, that is excellent advice for any life experience! Well said!! Hope your student listened and understood!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a very good analogy. I will remember that when I get back to practicing. I hate to admit that I've ignored my quest for the last couple months. Now I have to start all over. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was wondering how you were coming along, Carol. I want you to be successful with your music - I so wish we could work together.

      Delete
  3. Sound advice. That's how I feel right now with this unfamiliar road I am walking down with my father. Unfamiliar and a dark room. I'm feeling my way and stubbing my toes more often than I would like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow..you explained it so well! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete