| Catharine's Trunk | for everyone |
It was loaded onto a wagon and I often wonder what it carried on that long, dusty trip west. It's really not very large, so it could have carried a few dishes and household goods, or clothing and necessary items for the baby. With all the skirts they wore at one time back then, I don't think it could have held much of Catharine's personal clothing.
When I was a teen, it held some of the things I found most important at that time in my life and fortunately, I was one who understood value at a young age and took good care of it.
In 1987, my husband and I moved our family from Colorado to Michigan, so once again it was loaded up - this time in a moving van - and moved across country. I was nervous about leaving it in the hands of the movers and rightfully so. The next time I saw it, the lid had been ripped off and tossed aside like a piece of junk. I remember crying. My husband found someone in our church who was knowledgeable in restoration and was willing to take on the project. He wanted to fully restore it by replacing the missing hardware, but I wouldn't let him. I had always known it without it's hardware and to put something on it that wasn't original just didn't seem right. He was disappointed in my decision, but he honored my request. He cleaned it up, removed some of the crumbling paper that someone had lined it with, gave it an oil rub and added some supports on the inside to ensure the lid was secure. I wasn't pleased with that, but I knew it was necessary.
I always knew it was special, but I never knew anything about the original owner until just recently. The last couple of weeks I have uncovered more information about great-great grandmother Catharine and her life.
I am always amazed that when the celebrities on Who Do You Think You Are find things out about their family members that they are often reduced to tears. I found out today just how that feels. It's amazing how, when doing research on a family member one seems to suddenly feel a part of their lives and is able to get to know them as real people, not just names on a family tree. When I read that Catharine lived only 18 hours following a necessary operation concerning a pregnancy, I was deeply touched and brought to tears.
Next week marks four years since my mother's passing. I have uncovered information that is amazing to realize that she never knew about. I can't think of a more fitting tribute to her than to have connected so deeply to our past.
I don't know if it's even possible, but I believe I have an even greater appreciation for my treasured trunk.
No comments:
Post a Comment