Race to the Finish Weekend
Thursday:
Out of bed by 6 a.m., walk Suki, breakfast, light cleaning, on the road by 8, begin my shopping day by 10 a.
m....that
was the plan. Unfortunately, or fortunately as the case may be, things
did not go quite according to my plan. I didn't get up until 7, having
not slept well the night before due to thunderstorms and other issues
that kept me awake, I chose to try and get a bit more sleep so I wouldn't be groggy while driving...so I was on the road by 9ish. I
had prayed for good weather since I am not a foul weather driver and
they had predicted rain and thunderstorms for us. In answer to that
prayer, most of the rain moved through the night before and I had a
damp, cloudy morning for my trip which, was great since I was heading
east so the clouds prevented the sun from being in my eyes the entire
way. When was the last time you turned on the music and sang at the top
of your lungs? Try it sometime...it's a great stress release!
My first stop was Michael's. It has been my
dream for several years now to shop there without someone with me,
hovering and commenting on my every purchase or even contemplated
purchase.
My
dream finally came true and I enjoyed every minute! From there I headed
to the mall spending most of my time in Kohl's and Fashion Bug...I came
away with jewelry and one new top.
I
passed up the beautiful $100.00 bracelet marked down to $60.00, but oh
how I wanted it! The items I did buy were on sale at greatly reduced
prices...score! I also stopped at Bath and Body Works. Our store in town
closed about 2 years ago and I haven't been in one since. I found a new
scent I like, it's called Twilight Woods. I bought the $5.00 spray and
lotion. Before I knew it, it was 5:00 and time to
pick up my son. Together we had a wonderful
dinner in a restaurant near the water. The appetizer,
a Wisconsin Cheese Platter, was the best part of the meal! Although, the raspberry dessert we shared was very good as well.
Before leaving town, he drove me through a park near the water...such a pretty spot!
Friday:
My son and I did household chores all day. We did several loads of laundry, he helped me
harvest
some veggies from the garden, he built a storage cart for me and we ran
to the grocery store, did dishes and prepared a couple of meals ahead
for the busy day to come. It was a full day and he was such a help,
especially since he had put in a tough week at work and all he really
wanted to do was relax. God bless him!
Saturday:
Race
day! We were off and running by 8 a.m., running here and running there,
doing whatever needed doing, and making sure others' were doing the
jobs they had been given. In the car - out of the car - back to the house - back to the starting line - walk to the sports store - back to the starting line...this went on
like this over the course of the day. Somewhere in between something...
I can't remember
what anymore, we stopped at a rummage sale and were surprised to find a
rather odd item. I am now the proud owner of a single organ pipe!! My
son and I turned and noticed it at the exact same time and I think our
mouths feel open in unison as well. We stood staring at it for some
time, deciding what to do when really in the back of both of our minds
we knew somehow, if at all possible it had to go home with me. It's a 4'
wooden flute pipe, missing it's stopper. When I asked the seller what
he wanted for it he said, "so you want my whistle". I chuckled a bit and
said "yes, I would like your whistle". He said, "I'll bet you have no
idea what you're looking at" My son laughed and the man looked a bit
confused. When I told him that it was a 4' organ pipe, probably a
Bourdon flute, missing it's stopper, it was his turn to chuckle and say
"well, you know even more than I do". He was asking $30.00, I talked him
down to $20.00. It needs a good cleaning and I need to find a place for
it to live. My mentor said, "let it tell you where to put it". At the
same sale I spied a desk. Probably built in the 50's or early 60's,
mid-century modern style. When we moved to the house I had to leave
behind a huge oak desk I had used in the apartment and I have been using
a folding table in the studio. A real desk with drawers would be so
nice and this one was real hard wood, the style I love and clean and in
excellent condition. I debated and left it behind, afraid it wouldn't
fit, or I shouldn't spend the money. We took measurements and once at
home, having a chance to think about it, I decided I wanted it after
all. I spent more money than I should have this week, but with the
coming of winter, I shouldn't be spending much for a while now.
Thanks to the long-winded seller at the sale, we missed everyone coming in at the finish line.
Later
that afternoon was the awards ceremony for the race. Hubby and daughter
got 1st place in the tandem division, her boyfriend got second place in
his age division and
our associate pastor's two children both podiumed.
Following
that, it was out to the trails to pick up the signs and the flags. We
got a good share of it done before dinner. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner
at one of the local restaurants that have been very supportive of the
race and my Hubby's efforts. The plan was to go back to the trails after
supper, but everyone was simply too tired.
Sunday:
Sunday
after church we had a family dinner at home of leftovers, then I drove
my son the 2 hours back to his place and another 2 hours home. It was
tempting to stop at more stores on the way, but it was getting late and I
figured it was best I just get myself home.
This week:
Hubby bought blueberries from a neighbor...they are huge and juicy! YUM!!
He
also ordered firewood and the guy has been delivering a pick-up truck
load every evening. Hubby went with me to buy the desk I looked at on
Saturday and helped me move it in.
I
love having a real desk now, it looks much neater and more professional
than the folding table did. I'm also trying to catch up on things that
were neglected last week like harvesting the garden and getting the
studio up and running for fall. I've had a few calls, one of them
actually scheduled a lesson time, the others are thinking about it. It
looks like my harvesting will be postponed this afternoon, it's supposed
to rain and I see the clouds approaching.
I know I have some catching up to do when it comes to reading your blogs - I hope to get to that soon.
If you've read this entire epistle, I applaud you and thank you for your interest.
That sounds like a wonderful weekend. I love the pictures. You did a great on this blog.
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome weekend you had! I LOVE the jewelry you bought! So happy that God answered your prayers and you didn't have to drive in bad weather. My daughter Lindsay is looking for a desk just exactly like the one you have. We have started going to garage sales to see if we can find one at a good price. The last time I sang at the top of my lungs was only a few days ago. I was on Facebook and I put on Spotify and sang Born to Run by Bruce Springsteen. It was so fun!
ReplyDeleteThank you April!
ReplyDeleteYes Kris, I think we all need to sing more. Maybe we should adopt that phrase...sing like no one is listening!
I hope your daughter finds her desk...i love mine!