Friday, August 10, 2012

Hand Me a Crochet Hook

Blog EntryDec 5, '07 5:07 PM
for Julie's contacts
It's so strange how so often in my day to day life I hear my Mom's voice still teaching, directing and encouraging me.

Last week I purchased one of the new Febreze candles. Earlier this week it fell off the bathroom shelf and the holder broke. The candle was fine, except the wick had fallen out and I tried and tried to get it to go back in, but it would not go; the wick kept bunching up. I left the candle and it's wick sit on my desk until I could come up with a brilliant plan to make the hole bigger all the way through the candle. As I was cleaning my desk just now, I picked up the candle and considered throwing it away, though I hated to because it had never even been lit. I just couldn't figure out how I was going to be able to burn it. Suddenly I heard my Mom's voice, "hand me a crochet hook". My Mom was an avid crocheter for many years and there was always several crochet hooks of different sizes laying around on our end tables. For her the crochet hook was not merely for crochet, she used it as a tool for almost anything, including fishing something out of a bathroom drain, pulling a snag to the wrong side of many of my sweaters, and general poking, proding and hooking needs. When I had to put her in the nursing home I remember picking up her collection of crochet hooks and in my mind's eye I saw her hands working away on a project. She tried to teach me, but I just couldn't get the hang of it, so I really had no use for the hooks, yet, I had to keep them. Today I heard that sweet voice, the one that always solved my every problem and met my every need. She said to me, clear as if she were standing next to me, "hand me a crochet hook". I went to my sewing box, found a small sized hook, inserted it in the hole of the candle and shoved it all the way through, twisting to enlarge the hole a bit more, then pulled it out, and easily inserted the wick.

Thanks Mom, I love you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment